Friday, February 13, 2009

A. C. V. For Me!

My Medical Minute

It's all because of my stomach you see! I have what is called a sensitive stomach. I eat something that does not agree with me and wow do I get fire burning straight up from the gut. The other bad one is coffee or any of the cola's high in caffeine. Guaranteed to light my fire and keep it going for a while. I am not big on stuffing my body full of chemicals so I try to use food as medicine.

Once upon a day, the safety guy came out on the job site where I was working and asked, "Hey Reg, what do you do for heartburn?" The guys know that I am always yapping about what is good for you and what is not. This time I was almost speechless because I didn't know what to say. I control the burn by knowing what is in the food I eat and not eating the things that hurt me.

One of the guys standing close by said, "Oh, that's easy, I drink vinegar."

"Vinegar." I repeated incredulously, "Just like white vinegar?"

"No, not quite," he replied, "I use apple cider vinegar."

Now, I had heard of apple cider vinegar and that it was supposed to be good for a whole bunch of things but I had never heard about it being used for indigestion. I promised myself I would try it A.S.A.P. And try it I did! ACV as I call it has the effect of taking your breath away. I always grimace when I smell it because it has this powerful effect on me. I take a tiny sip straight and then swallow as quick as I can. For a few seconds my gut seems to burn even hotter and then within a few minutes it settles down completely. These days I pour about a quarter inch of ACV into a cup and then add about a quarter cup of ginger ale. This seems to make it a lot more body friendly. Google apple cider vinegar and indigestion and you will find about as many people for whom apple cider vinegar does not work as does. It works for me!


MORE SECRETS HERE FOR HEALTHFUL COOKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers